Does the title sound appetizing? I promise you, even if bean cake sounds like an afternoon in the bathroom, your fears will be dissuaded once you try this deliciousness.
I first tried the cake when a co-worker, who is also on a healthy eating journey, brought it in for everyone to try. So moist and chocolatey with a tangy sour cream frosting. Delicious and gluten free! So I nabbed the recipe from her magazine (literally took a picture with my cell), but I don’t know the title of the publication. If anyone knows, please let me know in the comments!
will turn into that cake above!
First step is to rinse the can of beans as seen in the picture. Next step are to mix the dry ingredients in a small bowl.
The remaining wet ingredients, save vanilla, will be whisked in your mixing bowl. Everything will end up back in this bowl to be used with your mixer. Black beans then get food processed into a finer texture with sugar and vanilla. When your batter is all combined as directed, it will look like this when poured into the prepared pan.
I also included my modified version of the sour cream frosting using my trusted substitution. When the cake is all done it will look like this, yum!
The cake is gluten free, and if you use sugar substitutes, which I haven’t tried yet, it can be even healthier! A sinfully delicious chocolate cake for about 224 calories a slice. Bring it to a party, and barring allergies, don’t tell your friends of the secret ingredient. I bet they’ll never guess.
Chocolate [Bean] Cake with Greek Yogurt Glaze
- Coconut Oil or cooking spray (for pan)
- Unsweetened cocoa powder (for dusting)
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbs water
- 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbs vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup Plain Non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Let eggs stand at room temp for 30 minutes (this is a good rule for all baking). Meanwhile preheat oven to 350* F. Grease a 9 x1/2″ round cake pan with coconut oil or cooking spray. Dust with cocoa powder, shaking out excess. Line with parchment paper, dust with cocoa again, and set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda; set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the melted coconut oil, eggs, and water; set aside.
- In a food processor combine black beans, brown sugar, granulated sugar, vanilla, and salt; process until smooth.
- Add bean mixture to coconut oil mixture, stirring until well mixed.
- Add the cocoa powder mixture and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for one minute.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake about 30 min, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely.
- Meanwhile combine glaze ingredients in a small bowl and stir until smooth.
- Spread cake with yogurt glaze, letting some drip over the edge. Chill for 20-30 minutes before serving. Makes 12 servings.