One of my favorite ways to be repurposeful is with food. I, as many of you I’m sure, hate to throw out food! I am ashamed to say that I felt like I did it a lot. It was more often than not leftovers of another meal that ended up in the garbage or occasionally composted (which I feel way better about).
I’m not a picky eater, but for some reason I have an aversion to eating left over meals. Maybe it’s because of how I was eating at the time. Or it could have been the foul way microwaves warp our food (and containers). Still, hated it and felt like it tasted bad so I knew I had to do something to change my bad habit.
In my cooking journey, that I’m still very much on, I have learned a lot of different recipes and ways to prepare foods. I feel bold enough to experiment and so I’ve successfully turned many dinners into tomorrow’s breakfast, lunch or dinner. I want to share one of my easiest transitions, veggie taco dinner into taco scramble. That’s twice the recipe!
Taco night is a pretty easy go to meal in our house and we’ve recently switched from veggie wraps to romaine lettuce. I’ve listed the fillings I used, however feel free to substitute for any veggie you choose. Just remember cooking times vary and you may have to steam or roast some veggies before sautéing with the seasoning (i.e., potatoes, carrots).
Veggie Tacos (serves 2)
- 1 Zucchini chopped
- 1 Yellow Squash chopped
- 1 cup crimini mushrooms chopped
- 1/4-1/2 Onion chopped
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 6 leaves of romaine washed (or swiss chard, collards etc)
- 1 recipe homemade taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup water
For taco seasoning
- 1 Tbs chili powder
- 1 Tbs cumin
- 1 Tbs garlic powder
- 1 Tbs onion powder
- 1/4-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- Mix all taco seasoning ingredients in small bowl until combined, set aside.
- Warm olive oil in pan over medium high heat. Add onion and cook until tender and slightly transulcent.
- Add zucchini, squash, and mushrooms, stirring occasionally until cooked tender, about 10 minutes
- Add taco seasoning and water to veggies. Bring to boil, then lower heat to low and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Serve veggies with romaine as taco shells. I like mine with home made salsa and guacamole plus plain greek yogurt in place of sour cream. Enjoy!
For any seasoned veggies you did not eat try this taco scramble the next morning.
- Beat 2 eggs in a small bowl, set aside.
- Spray frying pan with cooking spray and add 1/4-1/2 cup of leftover seasoned veggies. Warm for 1-2 min over med-high heat.
- Add beaten eggs and once they are starting to set scramble with spatula.
- Serve with toast. Optional: Add leftover salsa, greek yogurt, or guacamole to finished eggs.
These recipes are super simple and fully customizable. With these options, who would want to throw leftovers away?